Monday, November 28, 2011

It's Official

I am officially engaged to the love of my life.  I love my guy and I love my ring!  He is not however, the man I dreamed of. (Don't worry I have already talked to him about this.)  I want to write this post so people know good things don't always come in the  box you would have picked and that sometimes your dreams are not what you need.

When I was younger, I envisioned a tall, dark skinned, muscular man. (I actually had a dream about it once.)  I dated two of those guys, both were very sweet and good men but, they just did not work out and both for the same reason.  They were moving much faster than I wanted and I was not compromising myself for anyone.  I dated a few other guys but, none of them worked out for me. 

Along comes this kid.  (I am looking at him as  a kid because he is seven years younger than me.)  He says that he really likes me and wants to be with me.   I kind of laugh in his face and say it's some sort of infatuation and he'll get over it.  I have my 25th birthday party at The Mont in Norman and he attends.  I get drunk that night and I come onto him. He is only 18 (I know guys, he's young... I try to leave the age thing out of the story when I usually tell it but, since I am being honest on this blog, I had to put it out there.)  so he is scared and does nothing about it.  

Fast forward a couple of months and we are watching Lord of the Rings.  We are kind of talking throughout (because I didn't realize how important of a movie it was) and he proceeds to tell me a story about how he was on a ten day hike in boyscouts.  A guy in his camp snored and Lucas got so upset about this boy snoring that he hit him on the head and woke him up.  I was scared for my life to fall asleep. (I knew he wouldn't hit me but, I didn't want him to know that I snored.) I fell asleep.  We woke up the next morning to his parents calling him wondering where he was.  I think that snapped me back into reality of how young this guy really was.  It was fun hanging out with him and we continued to do so but, I knew I couldn't let myself get too caught up because it was never going to go anywhere.

Fast forward to present day and we are getting married. (He put a ring on it!)  It wasn't until a little over two years ago when we went through one of our most challenging times that I realized how much I loved him and needed him in my life.  I don't like the phrase, "he completes me" because I knew myself before he came along.  He does compliment me and bring out the best in me.  For that I am truly grateful because he is the first to do so in a long time.

Although Lucas is not the man I always dreamed of, he is the one that was meant for me.We have come through a lot together and have faced those challenges head on. There are days when I think, "I would never have imagined marrying you" but, I know he is the one for me. He challenges me, he allows me to be me, and most of all he loves me.


I really wanted to get this post out there and next time, I will talk about my ring.


2 comments:

  1. love this post



    I'm glad you stuck that last line in there...
    I was thinking "what a tease!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post too!
    You guys have definitely been through a lot but that has only made you stronger.
    You guys are such an inspiration to the lonely single girls, like myself!

    I can't wait to hear about the ring and the proposal!

    ReplyDelete